Aids and adaptations are changes we can make to your home if you need them that can make life easier or help you live there longer.

If you or another person living in your Clanmil home are having difficulty with everyday activities like climbing the stairs or having a bath, then we may be able to help you live more comfortably, safely and independently by adapting your home.

To find out more, please contact us at

Frequently asked questions

An adaptation is a special fixture or fitting that is designed to help you with your day-to-day living, improve your mobility in and around your home and improve access to your home.

We are not able to help with items that are not linked to your home, such as wheelchairs, walking sticks or hearing aids.  You may be able to access these by contacting your GP.

You can apply for an adaptation by contacting us.  Or, if you would prefer, you can arrange for a member of your family, a carer or social care/health professional, or someone you rely on to contact us for you.

Minor adaptations like grab rails, stair rails and lever taps and key safes can be requested through your Assets Officer.

There are other minor adaptations that may require referral to an occupational therapist to assess your needs.  These include:

• installing a level access shower

• installing an over bath shower

• installing non-slip surface

• providing storage space for a wheelchair

• fitting ramps

• fitting special baths

• installing special toilets

• adding a step-in shower

• widening doors for wheelchair access

• installing an intercom and door unlock systems

• creating paved areas for wheelchairs

We also carry out some major adaptations to customers’ homes.

These include:

• bathroom extensions (ground floor showers and toilets)

• bedroom extensions

• major internal changes

All major adaptations require referral to an occupational therapist who will assess your needs.

An occupational therapist is an employee of the Health and Social Services Trust who assesses the needs of disabled people, including their housing needs. You can arrange an occupational therapist assessment by contacting your GP.

Occupational therapists have:

knowledge of various conditions and how they impact on your life

an understanding of how your home is helping or hindering your everyday life

a belief in the removal of barriers that can stop you living your life to the full

qualifications that allow them to suggest the best solutions for the problems you face every day

The occupational therapist will visit you in your home to assess and discuss with you your specific needs. This will involve some questions to help them get a full history of your health that will allow them to focus on the main issues affecting your health at home and, where relevant, in the workplace.

The occupational therapist will consider your immediate needs as well as your potential needs in the future.

Based on this assessment, the occupational therapist may recommend a suitable course of action.  This may include adaptations to your Clanmil home.