Homes for Ukraine Scheme FAQs

Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about taking part in the Homes for Ukraine Scheme as a Clanmil customer:

You must talk to us first and get our permission before taking another person into your home.

Contact your Neighbourhood Services Officer.

Request a call back via ClanmilConnect

The first thing to do is to check that you are suitable by clicking on the Government criteria.  You will be expected to commit to hosting a refugee for at least six months.

In addition to checks prior to visas being issued, all households receiving guests from Ukraine will receive checks by your local council on the property and household. All households will be visited to ensure the accommodation is fit for purpose and suitable to receive guests.

If the accommodation is self-contained, or only adults without specific vulnerabilities (see below) are coming into the property, then Basic Access NI checks are undertaken on all adult members in the sponsor household (a process used to search through an individual’s criminal record and highlight any offences.)

If children under the age of 18 are going to be accommodated in the household, then an Enhanced Access NI check (including a check of the children’s barred list) will be undertaken on all people in the sponsor’s household over 16.

Local Authorities will follow existing guidance for regulated activity with vulnerable adults. Where the local authority officials know that there is an adult guest arriving in the household, who is vulnerable (due to illness, disability or age) and has particular needs for which the sponsor is to provide support, a request for an Enhanced Access NI check with check of the Adults’ Barred List can be made.

We will consider the following (this list is not exhaustive):

  • Do you have room in your home?
  • Is your home suitable?
  • Are you in rent arrears?
  • Do you have a Notice of Seeking Possession?
  • Are we taking legal action against your tenancy?
  • Any adverse tenancy history e.g. ASB

Our Money Advice Team will be happy to review your circumstances and advise you. We strongly advise you seek this advice in case you become financially worse off.

Contact the Team:

Call 028 9087 6000


Request a call back via ClanmilConnect

Your guest will be able to access support from your local council for instance for helping children access school places, as well as from Jobcentre Plus. It would be helpful if you could assist them in registering with a GP.

That is an issue between you and the Government. Clanmil cannot intervene.

As the tenant, you are responsible and your tenancy may be at risk if the situation is serious.